Oregon State Police Fallen Trooper Memorial Run

On Sunday, May 31st I ran the 4th annual Oregon State Police Fallen Trooper Memorial Run at Champoeg State Park, outside of St. Paul, Oregon.  The picture below captures how relieved and happy I was to cross the finish line. It was hot! I am turning into a lightweight when it comes to running in heat since living at Oregon Coast. I knew it was going to hot when I arrived at 8:30am the temperature was already 64 degrees! For me that is a hot day at the beach!

I knew it was going to be sunny and warm so I made sure to hydrate, drinking Watermelon Nuun and Nuun's Plus the night before and the morning of. Sadly, it was not enough. My first three miles I was running at fast pace of me, then it went down hill from there as my body was not used to running in the heat. I have a relay race coming up next month and my first olympic triathlon late September. I am going to be incorporating running in warmer temperatures in the upcoming weeks otherwise the heat is going to kill me.

The 10k race was an out and back, with two water stations. After trail running, running through and over logs, through water and waist high ferns, running on an actual paved six foot wide trail through the trees, long the Willamette River and no hills felt very V.I.P.


Every race for me is special. This race was made even more special as my friend Jen and I both ran. Jen ran the 5k and I ran the 10k. Our very race together was few years ago where me mostly walked on the beach during a 5k. Last year we both ran a 5k in Newport. Jen had the goal to beat her previous 5k time. She has been working really hard being a rock rock star getting into running after a long break. She PR'd even after helping a runner who fell! I flew solo for this race, as Mr. W and girls opted to stay home. I was so happy to have Jen and her family at the finish line cheering me across and snap all these awesome pictures.


It was fun for Jen and I to support our friend Cari, who along with a group of people work hard putting lots of time and energy into organizing this race, which is near and dear to her heart as she, herself is an Oregon State Trooper.  I had the opportunity to ride with my friend Cari a few weeks ago.  I got to witness first hand what an emcompasing and dangerous job Oregon State Police officers do. I just sat in the passenger seat and held Cari's hat. I was exhausted just watching her. I am glad after four years I was able to finally be able to do this race and add our support to creating the OSP Fallen Trooper Memorial in Salem.

I was really impressed at how organized the race was from signing up online, race packet pick up and the actual race itself. Tech shirts instead of 100% cotton shirts, which are awesome! Medals for both 5k and 10k!! I loved being able to check my time as soon as I crossed the finish line on iPads provided by the timing company in a little tent. The BBQ afterwards was an added bonus with chocolate for dessert! It was a fun race with proceeds going to build a Oregon State Fallen Trooper Memorial in Salem.  It was humbling running to the finish line, seeing names and dates of service officers who have made the ultimate sacrifice, who have died in the line of service. The lady who I was walking and running with the last half mile said "We must run to the finish line in honor of those officers." That we did!

Not my fastest 10k but that is okay. 1:04:58. I am looking forward to completing my first half marathon here in September for the Champoeg Half Marathon. I thought this would be a good preview. Even if you are not a runner. Champoeg State Park would be a great day trip or a weekend camping trip spot. I can see why when Mr. W checked to see if there any spots for the Wonder Wagon there were none. The park is only a half hour from Salem. It's well maintained. 

Looking for a fun race with beautiful scenery, outside of Salem, where your race entry goes to a good cause? Put OSP Fallen Trooper Memorial 5k/10k on your calendar for next year. It always falls the first Sunday after Memorial Day. If interested in learning more about this race, check out Fallen Trooper Memorial on Facebook where you can get race information for June 2016 in the upcoming months.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Race of 2016: Easy Like Sunday Morning

Don't Under Estimate the Motivational Power of the Sound of Cowbells: ElkHorn Relay 2016 Race Report

Live Your Life Like One Long Holiday