First Race of 2016: Easy Like Sunday Morning

Leia and I ran our first half marathon together on March 6th, the Lincoln City Elk Stampede, also known as the Lincoln City Half Marathon & 10k. I've done the 10k the past two years. I wanted to do one half marathon before my half Iron Man in June, since Leia is my running partner she got to cross off completing her first half marathon off her bucket list. 


In the parking lot waiting in our car. Leia wasn't too sure what to think with all the people milling about. This was Leia's very first race. She could sense the energy and knew that she was going for a run, with me in my running gear, her blue leash in sight, and her bright green pack in the backseat. She had only ran once with a group. Usually we run solo along busy Highway 101. 


The first six miles of the race Leia was super excited and had lots of energy, pulling me at times. I didn't want to start off too fast so I had to reign her in. Usually she is right beside me or slightly behind me when we run. I could see her herding tendencies come alive a few times. At one point she almost tripped a lady next to us. Thankfully the lady was understanding and was impressed by Leia's energy and the fact that a dog with her short of legs was running a half marathon. After about mile eight the crowd thinned out and we settled into our comfortable pace just Leia and I. The plan for this race was to run slow and easy.  I had been having issues with my left knee/hamstring so I was being cautious.  I needed this race to help calm my nerves with my upcoming A race of the season. I loved this part of the race. My thoughts drifted and made me think of a friend who had recently passed. I was thankful for my health and the ability to run on this beautiful morning with all these other people.


Leia and I crushed our time.  I came in 4th in my age group. Leia came in first...in the dog group beating out another dog.  Our pace was impressive even after stopping for water and one bathroom break for me. We came in a good half hour faster than I anticipated. My friends Miranda and Alycia almost didn't see us cross the finish line we were so speedy! More importantly my knee didn't hurt at all. Leia and I felt great afterwards. I've been experimenting with using a different type of fuel during my longer runs. Instead of Cliff Shot Blocks I've been using Cliff gels. I've had times in the past where my blood sugar will crash towards the end of a race. I've been worried with running longer distances. I always run with Nuun. Usually grape is my go to race flavor. I switched things up with strawberry lemonade this race. Between having electrolytes and plenty of fuel I had no issues. I loved Leia's bright green pack from Outward Hound. I shoved my long sleeve shirt in her pack when I got too hot. I had extra water for her and extra gels and Nuun for me. I  love this race as it is in the area where I like to run and bike. The course is familiar to me as well as beautiful. Thankfully the rain subsided and the sun actually came out. The race is full of friendly volunteers and lots of food afterwards. I love the race shirt this year. It is a long sleeved bright neon yellow running shirt in a great lightweight tech fabric. I can tell already it's going to be my new favorite running shirt. 


My daughter was curious if Leia would get a medal. I told her I doubt it. A lovely volunteer after the race gave Leia her very own medal. My daughter thinks we should frame the medal and this picture of Leia and I.  

I am now training for my half Iron Man, so I am running not as often so when Leia and I do go out for a our runs she is super excited to go otherwise it's running fits throughout the house at impressive speeds. She is not thrilled with all the time I am spending on my bike these days. Lucky for her I signed up for a trail running series so soon we will be hitting the trails together once a week. 


Comments

  1. happy for Leia that she got her own medal. she looks content

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Under Estimate the Motivational Power of the Sound of Cowbells: ElkHorn Relay 2016 Race Report

Live Your Life Like One Long Holiday