Live Your Life Like One Long Holiday

I just completed a Hospice training earlier this week that has left me thinking about holidays, especially the grief that forever surrounds holidays once you have lost a loved one. Mother's Day is in a few days. I as grow older I realize that I really don't like holidays. I know that sounds harsh but coming from a type A, perfectionist I don't like the undo stress and unrealistic expectations that holidays conjure up. With the recent passing of my father-in-law, holidays this year evokes sadness. What I do love is being around my family and impromptu celebrations. Like my older daughter shaving off a few minutes from her 1,500 meter time and my youngest daughter finishing her 5th grade math curriculum a month early. Both of which I know my late father-in-law would be extremely proud of.

The yearly tradition of celebrating Mother's Day and Father's Day is breakfast in bed followed by a day of leisure. Sunday I have a four mile run scheduled, then I am looking forward to lounging the rest of the day.  My husband has been out of town the last week. It really is the little things in life that make me happy, my husband home, not having to cook and enjoying the sunshine on my porch. I am feeling sad this Mother's Day as it is the one year anniversary of the passing of my father-in-law. 

I love this stage of parenting right now. My girls are 11 & 12. I love how they are self sufficient, helpful and and I can leave them alone for brief periods of time. I enjoy listening to their unique view points and perspectives on life. I like that I can have actual discussions with them. Most of all I love their sense of humor. They make me laugh all the time. I love this stage in parenting as I feel like I can begin to pursue my own interests again. I have more time as I am giving my girls their own space to begin to make more choices for themselves. I have to admit my girls are pretty awesome and I am extremely proud of them. Can you tell? 

We recently drove through our old neighborhood. The neighborhood in which we first lived in when we moved to the beach almost 8 years ago. Olivia was so excited recalling memories as we drove around. Vivian was asking lots of questions not remembering as much. Some times parenting seems like an eternity, with one hurdle after another. But on that drive through our old neighborhood it hit me, childhood really does go by quickly, life in general goes by quickly. Do I remember the Mother's Day's, Christmases and Thanksgivings in that house? Yes, but I remember in detail my girls learning how to ride bikes on that driveway, handholding chubby little hands as we walked to gather the mail every afternoon and the fancy tea parties we had at the kitchen table with the visiting grandparents.  It's the little moments which I treasure most. Hug your loved ones, send a card, pick up the phone, send an email. It doesn't have to be expensive or well thought out. Really, we should live like every day is a holiday, because it is. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Race of 2016: Easy Like Sunday Morning

Don't Under Estimate the Motivational Power of the Sound of Cowbells: ElkHorn Relay 2016 Race Report