Triathlon #3: Stayton Triathlon


My third triathlon happened last weekend in Stayton a.k.a "CountryLand." Stayton Sprint Triathlon~500 meter swim, 14 mile bike ride and 5k (3.1 mile) run. This particular race has been my goal to do after my Melanoma diagnosis. This race is like coming home to me as Mr. W and I used to live in Sublimity/Stayton before we moved to the Oregon Coast 8 years ago. My mom grew up in Sublimity, "CountyLand" will forever be home to me. I am happy to cross this off my "to one day do" list.

    Coming out of the swim

Going into this race I was not nervous at all. Crazy as in the past, I am usually a bundle of nerves  before a race. I was looking forward to seeing how my swim and bike legs were going to be since  I've been swimming and spending more time on my bike on the open road.


The bike course was flat and through beautiful Willamette Valley. Not a soul around me, I passed a few people early on and again closer to the end but for the most part it was just "Johnny" and I on the open road. The run course was along the Santiam River on trails, which were flat. I felt strong throughout the entire race. In retrospect I could have pushed harder on the bike. I was worried about saving my legs for the run. I was hoping to improve my swim and bike times but ended up taking off time on my 5k time, which mystifies me as I don't understand how I can run that fast. I'll take it.

Overall I am pleased with my time. I finished 9 out of 20 in my age group.  My overall time: 1:38:37.

Swim: 12:16
T1: 2:31
Bike: 56:25
T2: 1:03
Run: 26:22

I know I have the endurance I need to work on speed in the pool and on my bike. I think it's time to switch to different pedals and shoes. My Nuun triathlon kit is cute looking but the top is a total pain in the ass and kept riding up the entire run. I might as well have just ripped it off and ran in my sports bra. I think for my next triathlon I am going to get a one piece triathlon suit. I have time to shop and get used to new pedals before my next race. During this race I used Nuun Plus. This is a new product from Nuun that I added to my normal Nuun. It is a unique blend of carbohydrates and electrolytes. It hydrates fast and delivers fast energy. I used it on my trail race a few days earlier and had a great run. I am still experimenting with it. So far I am impressed and will continue to use it in my training.

My bike, "Johnny Cash" and I getting ready to head out for the 14 mile bike ride 


I've said it before I am a lone wolf in a one woman wolf pack when it comes to training.  Racing by myself I can do it but it's always better to have a familiar face at the end, even more awesome to have Mr. W and my girls. I was excited to see my friend Melissa as I was setting up my transition area. Photo credit goes to her for these awesome pictures. I am excited that Melissa is wanting to do this race next year. This would be a great race to do as first triathlon. It's a small race. The bike and run are flat. Lots of volunteers. If you are thinking of doing a triathlon and live in the Willamette Valley add this to your calendar for next year! 

My next triathlon is in September. I will be doing my first olympic triathlon, Best in the West Triathlon Festival, at Foster Lake in Sweet Home, Oregon. 1500 (open water) meter swim, 24 mile bike and 10k (6.2) run. But first, next weekend Oregon State Fallen Trooper 10k at Champoeg State Park outside of Salem. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Race of 2016: Easy Like Sunday Morning

Don't Under Estimate the Motivational Power of the Sound of Cowbells: ElkHorn Relay 2016 Race Report

Live Your Life Like One Long Holiday