Let the Triathlon Season Begin!


My first triathlon of the season is Saturday, Beaver Freezer. Originally I was going to do this triathlon with my friend C. The day I signed up I found out that my friend was unable to do the race. That alone make me nervous as this race is located in Corvallis on the campus of Oregon State University. I am not familiar with Corvallis at all. Thankfully my friend C and I did a mini road trip and she went over the bike and run course with me. Racing in a unfamiliar location has me a little on edge. As soon as I start to freak out a little bit I remember that I asked for this. I remind myself that this is my year of awesomeness. Stepping out of my comfort zone. I can do this! Did I mention that I hate crowds?

Stepping outside my comfort zone with a head cold that is leaving me unable to breath through my nose at the moment. Last week was spring break and I wasn't able to get in all my workouts. The forecast currently calls for rain. Mr. W and Vivian are going to be with Olivia cheering for her at a basketball game. Thankfully my sister will be there to cheer me on and there will be beer afterwards.
The race itself....the swimming, biking and running I am not too worried about. I am feeling pretty confident about swimming unlike my last triathlon I was nervous of the swim. Recently I've made good improvement and have been swimming easily twice the distance. The running will be a breeze as I completed a 10k last month and I am currently training for a 10k (Next week is Bridge to Brews in Portland!). The bike is where I am a little worried as I haven't rode "Johnny Cash" (the name of my bike) on the open road as I don't have any place locally that I can actually ride. I have been putting in lots of time on the trainer and the bike course for this triathlon is flat~THANK YOU JESUS!

My friend C told me to think of this race as training session. No pressure. That has helped calmed my nerves a bit. I am so bummed that I am not feeling 100%.  I am hoping that tomorrow I feel better and can take Johnny out for a spin. Right now I am praying for no rain, getting high on cold medicine and guzzling Nuun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Race of 2016: Easy Like Sunday Morning

Don't Under Estimate the Motivational Power of the Sound of Cowbells: ElkHorn Relay 2016 Race Report

Live Your Life Like One Long Holiday