First Race of the Season: Lincoln City 10k & Half Marathon


My first race of the season was yesterday, Lincoln City 10k & Half Marathon in Lincoln City. I did the 10k. It was a beautiful day for a run. No rain and a brisk 34 degrees at the start. All but one of my races has been without rain. Just one of the many joys of living in the Pacific Northwest!


It is a nice sized event. Think small town event. The local Boy Scout troop hands out clam chowder after the race. The fire department's CERT team is out keeping runners safe during the race providing traffic control. 111 runners ran the 10k race and 177 runners ran the half marathon. Lots of walkers as well. The course is beautiful. It begins and ends at Wapiti Park, south of Lincoln City.  In the first mile there was a herd of elk by the road. Common occurrence here, thus the name of the park. I was able to blow past a bunch of people who were busy snapping pictures.

My goal was to take this race easy. I ran this race last year and shortly after is when I started having issues with my hamstring. This year I am doing more cross training unlike last year. I was surprised when after mile 3, I looked at my Garmin and saw that my pace was close to 8:45. My goal was to finish under a hour. I killed that finishing 53:58! My pace was 8:42! I took first in my age division! This is the first race that I've had Mr. W and the girls waiting for me at the finish line. It was awesome to have them there, cheering me on to the finish.


I am happy to report that this morning after my race my hamstring is happy and I am just a little sore! I am so proud of my race. It's a great way to begin the season. My thanks to grape Nuun, Kid Rock and Lincoln City Community Center for putting on a great race! I told you.....39 is going to be awesome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Race of 2016: Easy Like Sunday Morning

Don't Under Estimate the Motivational Power of the Sound of Cowbells: ElkHorn Relay 2016 Race Report

Live Your Life Like One Long Holiday