Victoria Half Ironman Race Report June 2016

Victoria Half Ironman was a gift from my husband, Mr. W when I turned forty in September. It was that scary big goal of maybe one day. Before I could officially declare I was ready I had a email in my inbox telling me differently. I didn't have the luxury of coach. Majority of my training was done solo. What I did have was friends who encouraged me and said "YES, Mary you totally can do a half Ironman distance," they planted the seed for this accomplishment. I found a half Ironman distance plan online. Actually a lady posted a picture of her calendar and our race dates were the same. I purchased a big calendar and wrote out the 20 week plan in detail adding swim workouts from Swim Workouts for Triathletes by Gale Bernhardt & Nick Hansen and adding strength training exercises from my physical therapist and yoga.  I wished I had a coach but I was consistence and determined and I stuck to my bootlegged training plan. As the date for my race neared all of my well laid plans fell apart. My girls didn't want to come as they still had school and end of school year events. My husband ended up having to work and was not able to come with me to Victoria. Which now, looking at this with a post race perspective ended up being perfect. I know that many people race to win for their age group or for a super fast time. This race was more about the journey than crossing the finish line. I know that I left some some serious emotional shit out on the bike and run course. This race proved to me that I am more than just a wife and a mom. Triathlon for me this past year was extreme self care. Training for this race made me put myself on my "to-do" list and remind me that I matter just as much as my husband and kids. It reminded me of my year long adventure where I traveled on the East Coast alone. It proved to me that the next decade is going to be amazing and this is only the beginning!




THURSDAY, JUNE 9th: I heard singing outside and my dog Leia was acting strange. It was my posse of girlfriends who came to wish me well on my race standing on my street singing.  Even now as I type this I have tears in my eyes. They presented me with a super fabulous box to be opened after my race, a bunch of flowers, balloons and a beautiful unique handmade gold statue that will forever have a place on my desk next to my computer to remind me of my awesomeness. 

FRIDAY, July 10th:  Since Mr. W had to work my friend Alycia graciously agreed to make the trek with me to Victoria, Canada. In the triathlon world the term Sherpa refers to your support person who carries your gear, cheers and takes care of you on race day. Since I feel the term is derogatory we collaborated on the title of Race Logistic Coordinator on the 6+ hour journey to Port Angels. Plus Alycia deserved a official title.  Alycia took her job very seriously.  We drove to Port Angels, Washington, a six house drive where upon I introduced her to McNasty coffee. I have to admit at that point of the adventure two days away from my race I was more nervous about driving my car onto the ferry than conquering that beast of a hill on the bike course. 







SATURDAY, July 11th: 

Alycia and I were excited to have breakfast with a few ladies from the Women For Tri Facebook group. The restaurant was within walking distance from our hotel which was awesome. Alycia and I enjoy exploring Victoria. It was great to hear about the race venue from locals, meet internet friends in the flesh and enjoy a tasty breakfast.

After breakfast we drove to the Ironman village where I checked in my my bike, picked up my race packet and did some shopping at the Iron Man store. Alycia and I both went for a quick swim. Then we drove the bike course so I could get a first hand look at the hills which I was most scared about. 

We had dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory. We were in bed before 10pm. I was so thankful that Alycia liked going to bed early. The beds at the Double Tree in Victoria were amazing as well as the fresh baked chocolate chip cookies that the front desk staff was so generous with every time they saw us. 

Sunday, June 2016:  

I woke up at 4:30am. I actually slept really well. Actual nerves didn't hit me until I got into the car. Alycia drove, it took about 20 minutes from downtown Victoria. Seeing the swarms of  cars at the entrance of the park instantly made my stomach flip. What appetite I had was gone and I gave up on eating my oatmeal. Usually I can eat before a race but this morning oatmeal might as well be dirt. Thankfully I did mange to eat a banana before arriving to transition.

I set up my transition area under my bike. I am used to doing Best of the West triathlons, where that is okay; Not at this race. it was under the front wheel of the bike. A nice lady next to me was extremely helpful and chatty which helped calm my nerves as I re-set up my area. Next was to visit the restroom before getting into my wetsuit. As I was making my way to the end of the bathroom line a gentleman approach me also wearing a Nuun kit, wished me luck and briefly chatted. I feel bad, as I was so nervous I didn't have the ability to visit. The gentleman behind me in line for the restroom asked if it was my first IM race. I told him yes. He gave me great advice, "Your first 70.3 will always be your favorite. Enjoy it. Take time along the course to soak it up. You'll never to be able to recreate that high." 





SWIM: 

I was so thankful that Alycia and did a pre-race swim the day before. I was actually looking forward to the swim. The swim got shortened by 300 meters due to weeds/vegetation that posed a safety issue. My plan was to enter the water towards the end of the pack. I was most worried about getting kicked and swam over. My time didn't start until I crossed the mat so I just hung back and let the super fast and impatient people enter the water first. My plan worked. I didn't get kicked or swam over. I actually passed people. There were a few people that I was concerned about, as they looked like they were struggling in the water. My biggest issue was my goggles kept filling with water. I'd have to stop every so often to adjust. I took Alycia's advice and focused on making to the next buoy. I am not a fast swimmer but had no issues with not being able to see and having weeds between my fingers and in my mouth. I tried my best to enjoy the swim and kept thinking of Diana Nyad and how thankful to know there were no jelly fish or sharks swimming with me. Before I knew it the swim was over. Getting out the lake was a little precarious. A steep plastic ramp greeted me along with a team of volunteers linked together by their hands reaching out to grab my hand and pull me out. Thankfully, the swim was pretty easy. 







T1: 
As soon as I started walking I realized that I couldn't see out my left eye. That was a bit alarming. I got out of my wetsuit as gracefully and quickly as possible. The bonus of entering the water later is that transition area was not crazy. I wasn't entirely sure how cold it was going to be getting out of the water. I swam in just my triathlon shorts and sports bra. I slipped on my triathlon shirt. I brought arm warmers just in case. I didn't use them. I sprayed on some sunscreen, put on my socks and cycle shoes, my gloves, helmet and sunglasses. I was thankful that I had practiced transitions the week before. I still took forever getting out of my wetsuit. 




BIKE


This was the event I was most nervous about. Again, becoming familiar with the bike course gave me a piece of mind. The bike course was absolutely beautiful. It reminded me a lot of the Willamette Valley where I grew up. Victoria B.C. was even more beautiful than I imagined. Like I told Alycia think of all the people who get off the ferry and just stay in the downtown area of Victoria and never get to experience the neighborhoods and beautiful countryside of rural Victoria. I loved riding by a strawberry field and smelling the intense smell of of sweet smell of freshly picked strawberries. Also the crowd support along the bike route was amazing. It looked like neighborhood parties were happening. I remember two sweet ladies enjoying cocktails having a little too much fun, cheering all the cyclists as we flew past them in their cozy lawn chairs. Again, I am relatively new to cycling and feel it's my weakest event. The past six months I've made tremendous improvement but still felt nervous about the 3,000'+ elevation gain. I was worried that I didn't do enough hill training. I was also nervous because my left foot was giving me issues, after a injury in April. It started hurting after biking while running during training. The last 15 miles of the bike course were challenging and the one kilometer hill with 9% grade was no joke. I ended up killing it on the hills! I actually passed people while biking UPHILL! I even surprised myself. I nailed it on my nutrition. My goal was to take in 400 calories per hour combination of liquid and solid food. I think I consumed right around 1,100 calories which was pretty close to my goal. I felt strong the entire race. I was so nervous about the bike that I held off earlier on the bike as I wanted to have enough legs for the last 15 miles of the bike and the run. I told Alycia that I predicted that the bike would take me around 4.5 hours. She was surprised to see me as I came in about a half hour sooner. She almost missed me as I came into transition. 


T2 

I was so happy to be off the bike. Though I felt great. Mentally, the run is dessert in my world of triathlon. All I have to do is run. I hate my triathlon top. I am not sorry to say that as I dealt with it rubbing on my stomach and riding up for 6.2 miles on my Olympic last summer there was no way in hell I was going to deal with that for 13.1 miles. I took it off and because it was warm I ran in just my sports bra. Triathlon has helped me love my body and not give a shit what others think of my midsection. Slipped my visor and chugged some watermelon Nuun and off I went like the badass mother runner that I am. 




RUN

I felt great off the bike.  No rubber legs thanks to all those brick workouts. My plan was to get into a groove and settle in. The run was on hard packed trail along the lake. It was beautiful. Lots of locals walking, biking and horseback riding. I passed a lot of people. At aid stations I'd mentally ask myself what do I need in this moment? My plan was to stick with water and Cliff Shot Gels. I felt like I got enough electrolytes on the bike. I grabbed Bananas and flat coke at every other aid station. About mile one I fell into line with a gentleman from Northern Californian. I asked if I could hang with him. He was on his second loop. I ran about six miles with him at a 9:30-9:45 pace. On my second loop I slowed down as I didn't have anyone to run with. I kept passing people. I was beginning to get tired. Never once during the entire race did I feel like I couldn't continue on. I had no doubt, hesitation or the thought of WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING while I was out on that course. The last mile of the race my left leg/ankle begin to hurt. At that point it dawned on me that holy shit I am really going to complete a half ironman!!!!! As I heard the cheers from the finish line as I got closer I started to tear up. That's never happened to me before. My daughter Olivia in her 800 meter, 1500 meter races always sprints super fast at the end. As I approached my finish line I gave it my all. Hearing my name called as I crossed the finish line was unbelievable. I was sad that the race was over. 



I always have three goals going into all my races. 1st goal: To finish under 8.5 hours because I trained too hard not to get that amazing medal. 2nd goal: 8:00 3rd goal: 7.50

The day of the race I had to keep asking Alycia what was my time was. 

7:13:44

Pretty sure it was those Double Tree chocolate chip cookies.

Let me add that I hated P.E. when I was in middle school. My high school cross county experience ended with stress fractures my sophomore year. I don't consider myself as competitive at all. I started running again when I was 34 years old after a brush with Melanoma and increased family history of diabetes. Took adult swimming lesson to learn how to swim laps and I am still learning how to ride my road bike.  Here I am nearing my 41st birthday next month in the best shape of my life, feeling the best I've ever felt.




More importantly I felt strong the entire day racing. After the race I felt great. I was relieved that it was over, I didn't realized how stressed I was until after the finish line. I felt so relived and happy. I was disappointed that the food that the finish line was pizza. Yuck. I gladly gave it to Alycia to enjoy.  Two months later I still can't stomach Cliff Bars. They were great on the course but it's going to take me awhile to enjoy one for a long time. The gourmet bison burger and two pints of beer were amazing!!! Who knew that Victoria has some great local beer? Reason #567 Victoria is going to be a repeat vacation for Mr. W and I!

Monday, the next morning I was a little sore and stiff. We made the trek home. It was fun seeing all the people from the day before in line for the ferry. Alycia and I would happily point, "Look, triathlon people!" In the days afterwards I was so hungry. I happily listened to my body and gave it what it needed.

During the adventure to Victoria I got to know my friend Alycia well. This trip had the potential to expand or end our friendship. The latter would be awkward as I am traveling to Tennessee with Alycia to help cheer her and our friend Miranda for their full Ironman in September. I am a pretty easy going traveler. I knew that I was going to be more stressed than usual. I was nervous about traveling to an area where I was not familiar with. Alycia does triathlons she knows the drill. She's experienced the craziness of Kona, last October and she's traveled all over the world. Once I realized that she likes dive bars, likes to go to bed early and will talk to pretty much anyone,  I knew without a doubt that this adventure was going to end well.

Now two months post my first half Ironman I am seriously entertaining the idea of a full Ironman. I really enjoyed the training for my half Ironman. I like the half marathon distance for running. I need to work on my cycling. I think I'd like to complete a full marathon and a century ride before committing to a full Ironman.

On the fence about doing a big scary [insert whatever HERE]? Do it. If you have butterflies in your stomach yet you are still excited? That is the universe silently urging you to DO IT! I promise you will not regret it. Yes, it's scary. Yes, it's hard. Yes, you will doubt yourself. Believe me when I say when you say YES to your big scary [see above] the universe collaborates with you to help you reach your goal. The right and perfect people show up in your life to help you. How do I know this? See the picture of my medal below. That's my proof. DO IT!!!!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Your Life Like One Long Holiday

Don't Under Estimate the Motivational Power of the Sound of Cowbells: ElkHorn Relay 2016 Race Report

First Race of 2016: Easy Like Sunday Morning