Last Race of the Season: Champoeg Half Marathon


My final race of the season was the end of September. Originally I wanted to run my first half marathon before I turned 40 on the 17th of September but with our crazy busy summer I was limited on time and availability of races. I settled on the Champoeg Half, September 27th at Champoeg State Park outside of Salem by St. Paul, Oregon by the Willamette River.  I had ran there earlier in the season for the Fallen Oregon State Police Memorial 10k Run in May. I loved it so much. It was like V.I.P trail running with wide paved paths. When I saw there was going to be a half marathon race in September I knew that it would be the perfect half marathon. Another reason I selected this race is that we could make a fun weekend of camping in the Wonder Wagon. Mr. W was able to get to us a campsite. This was the third race of my season that we were able to use our RV. I loved being able to sleep in my cozy bed and have all the comforts of home. 


After my Olympic triathlon at Best of the West Triathlon Festival two weeks earlier, my first half marathon seemed so simple, all I had to do was run! The run is my favorite event in triathlon and my strength. After completing my triathlon I knew that I had the endurance to complete a half marathon. My goal was to run 13.1 in under 2:20 minutes. In retrospect planning a half marathon so close to my olympic triathlon wasn't the most awesome idea. Every season I do this crazy sport I learn more and more. 

The weather was perfect. My mind was relaxed. I carried Nuun~grape was the race flavor. I used gels at mile 4, 8 & 12.  I loved the course. Minimal hills compared to the hills I am used to when running with my trail running group in Newport, Team Ardor. It reminded me of home, growing up outside of Salem in the country. I started off slow and just kept plugging along taking in the beautiful fall foliage and runners around me. I love people watching so this was perfect, as it was an out and back course.  At mile four I passed a lady dressed head to toe in purple. Throughout the entire race we would pass one another, each time giving each other encouraging comments and laughing. At the end of the race she came up to me and gave me a hug and congratulated me on my race. Come to find out this snazzy lady dressed in purple was 70 years old! I would have never guessed in a million years! I ended the race feeling good. Even more awesome no pain in my hip or lower back. I am really proud of time of 2:11:20 since considering that I missed three weeks of training. My favorite memory of the race was running past a field of turkeys. They were so loud as I ran past them. It made me laugh out loud! It was a great race. I am so glad that I was able to finish out my season accomplishing a big scary goal. 

That's it. 2016 is finished! Now time for vacation....Caribbean Cruise to celebrate my husband and I both turning 40 and our 16th wedding anniversary. My only plans are to eat, sleep and swim in the ocean!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Race of 2016: Easy Like Sunday Morning

Don't Under Estimate the Motivational Power of the Sound of Cowbells: ElkHorn Relay 2016 Race Report

Live Your Life Like One Long Holiday